CCNF MEMBERS’ MEETING & BOARD ELECTION
TIME: 12:20 – 1:30 PM (PST)*
DATE: Wednesday, 17 Dec 2014
LOCATION: 17 Jennifer Place, San Francisco, CA 94107
*Members will have the option to participate virtually on GoToMeeting.com.
IF YOU PLAN ON ATTENDING, PLEASE RSVP SO WE DON’T START WITHOUT YOU!
From Moscone Center: Take 4th St. southeast, pass Folsom St., then take the next right on Shipley St. At next intersection, take a left on 5th St. and the first rolled-up gated entrance immediately on your left is the Jennifer Place entrance. Both the first gate (Jennifer Place) and the second gate (Scott Alley) have “City Mews” above the gate, but you must enter through Jennifer Place. Upon arrival, call Michael Quirke at 281-832-3170 so he or David Leib can open up the gate and let you in.
CURRENT NOMINEES FOR BOARD
List will be updated as candidates are nominated. Members with active voting privileges can nominate candidates at this time.
Dr. John Nielsen-Gammon (nominated by M.Quirke)
Prof. Tracy Hesterr (nominated by M.Quirke)
Dr. Scott Denning (nominated by Dr. Bart Verheggen)
– If you plan on voting, please let me know if there is a conflict with this time.
-All CCNF columnist-members (subject matter and policy columnists included) are invited to attend the meeting in person or virtually, even if you won’t be voting. The election will be really short, so for the rest of the time, we hope to have an open discussion/brain-storming session on how we can better improve CCNF and on the current plans for Phase II. We want as many members to participate in this open discussion.
Voting members as of 12/12/2014:
Dr. John Nielsen-Gammon,
Dr. Barry Lefer
Prof. Tracy Hester
Dr. Mauri Pelto
Dr. Bart Verheggen
Dr. Andreas Schmittner
Dr. Eric Steig
Dr. Scott Denning
Those columnists who are right on the edge having their voting privileges activated:
– 1 x fact checker comment/regular post away as of 12/12/2014: Drs. Scott Denning & Will Howard)
– 2 x fact checker comments/regular posts away as of 12/12/2014: Dr. Sean Bryan)
– 3 x fact checker comments/regular posts away as of 12/12/2014: Dr. Jeremy Shakun, Eric Galbraith, Muge Komurcu)
Participation tally for voting privileges from previous email (as noted above, based on my calculations, a few members are closer to getting their privileges activated).
Nominations: If you have active voting privileges, you can nominate anyone from the CCNF community to serve on the board. Based on a close read of the bylaws, I don’t think you can nominate yourself. So if you have a willingness to serve on the board, I’d recommend letting another member know so he or she can nominate you.
– Right now, because the board is so small, the board acts as the gatekeeper for all applicants. In the event there are more nominations than seats (there are only 3 seats now), the board does have the option of expanding the board through an official board action before the election.
– Current or future board could also transition to a committee system, where there’s a science columnist committee acting as the gatekeeper for the scientists applying as science columnist members (for publishing privileges in science sections) and a subject matter or policy columnist committee acting as the gatekeeper for applicants applying as subject matter/policy columnists (for publishing privileges in future policy sections). Right now, the current board is the judge for all applications. Basically, without a committee system, you could have non-scientists judging the expertise of scientists.
Food: Lunch will be provided for those that RSVP. Please let me know if you want a vegetarian meal.
Cost: There will be a CCNF tip jar set out to hopefully at least cover the cost of lunch.
——————– OTHER CCNF EVENTS at AGU14 —————–
CCNF Early Evening Social, Tuesday
TIME: 5 – 6:30 PM
DATE: Tuesday, 16 Dec 2014
LOCATION: “CCNF HQ”, 17 Jennifer Place, San Francisco, CA 94107
IF YOU PLAN ON ATTENDING, PLEASE RSVP!
This is a great opportunity for everyone to meet one another in person, converse in a friendly and informal setting, and celebrate CCNF’s successful first year! This should also build some excitement for the next day’s oral session and board election! Wine and beer will be provided, and a CCNF tip jar will be present.
Please RSVP if you plan on showing up . If there’s a crew afterward, I was thinking we could go have a nice dinner together at a local spot and then make the 5 minute walk over to Jillian’s Bar and Restaurant on 175 Fourth Street for the official AGU Open Mic Night (Dr. Richard Alley will be the host) that’s scheduled for 7:30-9:00 PM.
TIME: 9:15-9:30 AM (PST)
DATE: Wednesday, 17 December 2014
LOCATION: Moscone South 102
Really hope everyone at AGU14 can make Dr. Nielsen-Gammon’s oral session. This is a great achievement for CCNF and a fantastic opportunity for everyone to engage with one another and others at the forefront of climate change science communication.
If you plan on making the event, I’ll be handing out a small token of CCNF’s appreciation for your participation this past year. I just need to know your T-shirt size!